In-Country Project Coordinator – Maldives:
The International Center for Religion & Diplomacy (ICRD) is seeking to hire a part-time (50% LOE – 20 hours/week) in-country Project Coordinator in the Maldives to work with the Washington, DC-based ICRD team to support rehabilitation and reintegration efforts for repatriated foreign terrorist fighters (FTFs) and family members who are set for return in 2020-21 and expected to be housed in the country’s National Reintegration Center (NRC). This position will be filled for 22 months, beginning in November 2020, and the associated duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Help formulate a network of key actors (academics, religious leaders, social workers, psychologists, teachers, business owners, and other stakeholders);
- Serve as a liaison to those stakeholders in the Maldives, while also assisting in the various logistics of organizing events and workshops;
- Assist the ICRD team as we conduct a comprehensive needs assessment particular to the Maldivian context;
- Contribute, as necessary, to a contextualized conflict analysis, program design, and broad strategic development;
- Translate between Maldivian and English, both orally and in written documentation;
- Maintain relationships and communications with partners and supporters, and help expand ICRD’s network;
- Assist in field activities, as needed, which may include serving as a co-trainer, facilitator, and/or translator;
- Contribute, as possible, to the development and implementation of effective programming formulated under our Trauma-and Countering Violent Extremism-informed approach (TCVE) to repatriation, rehabilitation and reintegration efforts; and
- Other tasks as designated by ICRD senior staff, which may include assisting with financial accounting, some administrative and logistical tasks, and other programmatic and institutional support.
- Fluency in Maldivian (Dhivehi), both written and spoken;
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken;
- Excellent networking skills and connection to appropriate Maldivian government counterparts, human service providers (especially mental health practitioners and social workers), peacebuilders, preventing and countering violent extremism practitioners, and others operating in the Maldives;
- Strong understanding of Maldivian and Islamic cultures;
- Meaningful experience in supporting project management, administration, and implementation;
- Strong inter-personal skills;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Self-starter with a demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems with minimal supervision;
- Commitment to religious pluralism and religious freedom;
- Ability to handle multiple competing deadlines, as well as adapt to differences in cultural and professional styles across country contexts;
- Effective at working as part of a team in a diverse and fluid environment;
- Willingness to be flexible and contribute beyond normal tasks and areas of expertise.
Additional Skills – some or all of the following are preferred:
- Demonstrated experience with conflict resolution or preventing and countering violent extremism programming;
- Intermediate- to high-level Arabic;
- Bachelor’s Degree in International Affairs, Conflict Resolution, Religious Studies or related fields with 5 years of relevant experience or Master’s Degree in same with 3 years’ experience;
- Training and facilitation skills;
- The ability to cultivate and maintain relationships and carry out negotiations in Islamic cultural contexts;
- Understanding of Islam, including subtleties of sectarian identities and practices, and current social and political realities in Islamic contexts;
- Experience in designing training curricula;
- Deep knowledge of the South Asia region with a focus on the Maldives, particularly with regard to conflict, violent extremism, political transition, and religion; and
- Proven research capacity.
Salary Range: $12,000-$14,000 annually, part-time (average 15-20 hours/week), commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To be considered for a project coordinator position, please compile your cover letter, resume, writing samples, and references into a single Word or PDF document and send to Martine Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org, cc: email@example.com. Please label the first attachment: “Last Name, First Name_ICRD Maldives Project Coordinator Application”.
- Cover Letter – Include a brief overview of your qualifications for the position and why you are interested in working with ICRD.
- Résumé – Include your professional and educational experience and language skills (specify level of oral and written skills).
- Writing Sample – Please submit one-two writing samples of your choice (two-three pages, may be excerpts from longer essays);