VOLUNTEER OR INTERN
The International Center for Religion & Diplomacy (ICRD) is a highly dynamic non-governmental, non-profit organization that works to bridge religious considerations and international politics in support of peacebuilding. Central to ICRD’s approach is its ability to capitalize on the positive role that religious leaders and institutions can play in building trust and overcoming differences.
ICRD has a small, dedicated and dynamic team in Washington, D.C. that manages programs in numerous countries overseas, working closely with local partners to transform intractable identity conflicts.
ICRD seeks interns every Fall, Spring, and Summer semester who have passion and experience in the fields of religion and conflict mitigation. Applicants should be interested in working within existing or potential program areas, such as:
- Salafism – Research about its rise and spread; peaceful Salafist beliefs versus violent Salafist action; methods to counter violent extremism in various countries, specifically Pakistan, Yemen, Morocco, and Tunisia.
- Yemen – Conflict management and resolution.
- Saudi Arabia – Textbook and educational reform and research on the global impact of the Saudi textbooks.
- Pakistan – Countering violent extremism through integrating religious women and building counter-narratives.
- Islamophobia in the U.S. – Addressing and countering Islamophobia within conservative Christian communities.
- Colombia – Training women and other faith leaders in reconciliation to support reintegration of former combatants.
Programs are at various stages of implementation, and all interns generally work closely with ICRD staff across multiple programs throughout the duration of the internship.
- We primarily need fluency in written and spoken Arabic, Farsi, French, Spanish, Pashto and Urdu. Native speakers preferred although high-level non-Native proficiency is welcome as well.
- Monitoring news and preparing a news brief together with other interns on a daily basis;
- Participating in policy forums and other events as a representative of ICRD;
- Preparing event and meeting reports and memos for senior staff members;
- Conducting research on political and economic developments in countries that are relevant to the Center’s work;
- Maintaining accurate databases, conducting research on new funding opportunities and helping to develop effective fundraising and outreach strategies;
- Writing a blog post on a topic of personal interest that is related to ICRD’s mission;
- Updating the Center’s social media profiles (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram);
- Assisting staff in preparing for our annual Faith-in-Action award dinner;
- Occasional administrative tasks as needed by the Center’s staff.
- An undergraduate or graduate student in good academic standing, or a recent graduate;
- A major in Political Science, International Relations, International Studies, Anthropology, Conflict Studies, Area/Ethnic Studies or equivalent. Communications and Business majors will be considered for the Communications and Outreach Internship position;
- A commitment to religious pluralism and collaboration;
- Excellent writing and research skills;
- Relevant thematic knowledge (conflict transformation, conflict analysis, comparative religion, etc.) and regional experience (particularly Central & South Asia, the Middle East, Latin America, and the Horn of Africa & Sahel regions).
COMMUNICATIONS AND OUTREACH INTERNSHIP:
The Communications and Outreach Intern will work with the Director of Development and Outreach – providing broad support to ICRD’s communication and fundraising efforts, including: social media, marketing or graphic design, researching and pursuing new funding opportunities, conducting grant management and reporting and helping to develop effective fundraising and outreach strategies.
- Creating content for all social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram);
- Implementing existing and creating new social media strategies;
- Developing graphic design concepts for outreach materials;
- Maximizing use of existing crowd-sourcing platforms and identifying new ones;
- Identifying government and private funding opportunities and recommending suitable program matches;
- Assisting with the research and development of new project concepts;
- Assisting with tracking of funding opportunities and corresponding action steps and deadlines;
- Curating and updating website content;
- Fall interns will assist with the end-of-year fundraising appeal. Spring interns will assist with all aspects of the annual fundraising dinner.
- Currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate studies, or a recent graduate in Communications; Business; International Development or related field;
- Preferred prior experience and proficiency with social media and/or fundraising;
- Enthusiasm for applying social media and outreach strategies in a nonprofit setting;
- Experience with Salesforce, Photoshop, graphic design and/or data analytics preferred;
- Commitment to religious pluralism;
- General interest in the fields of religion and conflict mitigation.
All internship positions are unpaid.
HOW TO APPLY:
The application deadline for Spring 2018 internships has passed. Check back soon for information on how to apply for a Summer 2018 position.
We receive many inquiries about how individuals can be involved in the work of ICRD. We are open to proposals from proactive individuals who have knowledge in religious studies, international affairs, conflict prevention and resolution, research, fundraising, IT/computer science, and language translation. Another way to help out is to share the mission of ICRD with others.
- Host a discussion in your home, community, or place of worship.
- Inform your Member of Congress about our work (especially if they are members of relevant committees such as “Foreign Relations” in the Senate or “International Relations” in the House).
- Conduct research on topics that are relevant to the Center’s work.
- Sign up for our electronic Newsletter, “like us” on facebook, and check out our website for updates.
For more information, e-mail email@example.com or call (202) 331-9404.